Recipe Categories : | French
| Steak | Sauces
| MAIN INDEX |
Serves : 4-6
- 750g-1kg (1½ -2lb) piece sirloin steak, 5cm(2") thick
- 3 tbsp French mustard
- salt and pepper
- 50g (2oz) butter
- 300ml (1¼ cups) cream
- 3 tbsp brandy
- watercress sprigs to garnish
Preparation and Cooking Instructions :
- Spread each side of the steak with 1 tbsp mustard. Cover and leave
for 1 hour. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Melt butter in a heavy-based frying-pan, add the steak and seal both
sides quickly over a high heat. Lower the heat and cook for 7 o 12 minutes
on each side, according to taste. Transfer to a warmed serving dish
and keep hot.
- Add the remaining mustard and half of the cream to the pan, stirring
well to incorporate the meat juices. Heat gently. Add the remaining
cream and salt and pepper to taste and bring to just below the boil.
Add the brandy and stir well.
- Cut the steak into serving portions and pour over the sauce. Garnish
with watercress and serve immediately.